This is a blog article about how to visit and experience the Rock Garden of Chandigarh. Find out when it is open, the ticket price, and the location. What would you say is the most beautiful garden in India? If you’re like most people, you’d say the Taj Mahal. And if you said the Taj Mahal was in Agra, then you’d be right. But what about Chandigarh? Well, according to many people, it’s easily the most beautiful garden in all of India – and it’s not hard to see why! Chandigarh was formerly a city in northern India, but it now resides in the state of Punjab.
And like all great gardens, Chandigarh was built with love. So if you’re ever in the area and want to experience some breathtaking beauty, make sure to check out Chandigarh’s Rock Garden – it won’t disappoint!
Overview of the Rock Garden Of Chandigarh
- Rock Garden is Located in Sector 1 of Chandigarh, The Rock Garden is a massive open-air gallery showcasing sculptures made from urban and industrial wastes by renowned artist and former Road Inspector of Chandigarh, Nek Chand.
- It is located between the famous Sukhna Lake and the Capitol Building and is a spectacle that is a must-visit! Also known as Nek Chand’s Rock Garden, this massive 40-acre garden is a colorful mosaic of art pieces and sculptures.
- The rock garden is situated at Uttar Marg in Sector 1, 1.5 km from Sukhna Lake if you are traveling by cab or public transportation. Buses and autos are also easily available. The exhibition area of Rock Garden is divided into three different phases that have different types of installations and embellishments
Before We Go We Should Know About The History Of Rock Garden
Indian garden artist Nek Chand was inspired to start building his Rock Garden near Sukhna Lake in 1957. It was based on his vision of a divine kingdom of Sukarno, where he attempted to recreate life and nature in the form of a temple made entirely out of waste materials he collected in his spare time. The work took 18 years and spanned 12 acres with a complex system of interlinked courtyards.
Although the work was illegal at the time, he managed to hide it from authorities until they finally figured out the location in 1975. His Rock Garden faced the danger of being demolished on account of its being illegal but was saved by popular public opinion. When Nek Chand lost funding for his project, he gained some more funding from donations and even had help from 50 laborers as well as a team of 50 experts who were brought together to preserve his work.
Things We Should Know About Rock Garden
|Quick Overview About
|Rock Garden Chandigarh
|Sector 1 Chandigarh
|9 AM – 7:30 PM (1st April – 30th Sep)
9 AM – 6 PM (1st Oct – 31st March)
|For Adults: INR 20/- per person
For Children: INR 10/- per person
Timings Of Rock Garden In Chandigarh
The Rock Garden is open on all days of the week, but you should check the timings before visiting in the summer and winter seasons.
- Opening Hours In Summer: 9 AM – 7:30 PM (1st April – 30th September)
- Opening Hours In Winter: 9 AM – 6 PM (1st October – 31st March)
Rock Garden Chandigarh Entry Fee
The ticket price for the Rock Garden Chandigarh is nominally priced, so everyone can afford to visit and go without any restrictions. The only difference between admission into the garden site and purchasing food or drinks is that the visitor has to pay extra if they want to do the latter things.
- For Adults: INR 20/- per person
- For Children: INR 10/- per person
Best Time To Visit Chandigarh
The best time to visit Chandigarh is between October to March. During this time, the weather is great, and favorable for sightseeing. There is more greenery at night because it’s not as cold. In January, the minimum temperature can drop to 2 degrees Celcius at times. The monsoon showers bring in some relief in July, which keeps the city from being overcrowded. If you want to visit when it’s not crowded, plan your trip for May and September.
Tips For Visiting Rock Garden
- Try to visit this destination during the colder parts of the day.
- Do not litter the premises.
- Rock Garden should be visited with kids to give them an idea about the uses of what we consider as waste. It would definitely help to ignite their creativity.
- The waterfall area in the garden is particularly good for photo shoots.
- There is a lack of good food joints inside the park.
Attractions in the Rock garden
The Wishing Well- The Rock Garden has been a famous landmark for tourists for decades. The purpose of this attraction is to allow tourists to make a wish and toss coins into a bucket, which will then fall down into the well. It allows visitors to send positive energy after making their wishes. This attraction is the perfect example of what fine art can be.
Waterfalls- Waterfalls are one of the most popular attractions in Emerald Garden Park, attracting tourists from all over the world. This is due to the beautiful nature and trails that go around to multiple levels of waterfalls. There’s also a great view of birds soaring high above the waterfalls, which adds to the scenic beauty here. Visitors are always spotted clicking pictures and spending quality time with their loved ones, kids thoroughly enjoy themselves as they can explore small dark tunnels, and sculptures along with deep ponds and pathways that lead to various parts of the park. Finally, it’s great for selfies!
Disfigured Mirror Maze- Adults are very happy in this room. They can be found making funny faces, laughing, and having a good time on the floor of the mirrors. Families with children are usually spotted here, seeing themselves through their reflections and smiling.
Swings- Huge swings are installed in the open area of the garden. People can be spotted having fun and enjoying rides, with their loved ones, here. There are more than 15 swings present in the garden, but we still see people waiting for their turn. Snacking and swinging around is always a good time here at this park.
Open-air theatre- The theatre is a large area where a variety of events and exhibitions are held in Chandigarh. In the center of this theater, there is a staircase made out of colored tiles. People usually get their photos taken here or take admitted to an exhibition. Food stalls and visitors can enjoy Punjabi food all throughout the festival season in this garden that’s been around for quite some time!
Bangle Sculptures- This is an interactive and photogenic exhibition that features sculptures made of rich colored glass, and their painters’ work. The different colors of the sunlight are reflected upon them, with the entire work of art becoming a reflection of the light itself. Even though these pieces were created in earlier times, there is something fresh about them today.
Pottery- There are lots of different styles and shapes of pots, with red bricks as the base color. Due to the minute carvings into each pot, even when these pieces are kept on top of one another, these pots become tall sculptures. You’re sure to find these pots throughout the pathway from entrance to exit.
How To Reach Chandigarh Rose Garden
Chandigarh is easily accessible and well-connected to other cities in India by various means of transport.
- By Air – Chandigarh manages a daily Indian Airlines and Jet Airways flight traffic to and fro Delhi and a bi-weekly one to and fro Amritsar. There is also a weekly flight to and fro Leh from this city. By air, it takes hardly 50 minutes to get to Chandigarh from Delhi. The airport is located just 11 km away from the main city, and upon checking out, one can easily hail a cab or auto-rickshaw anywhere they wish to go in the city.
- By Rail – Located just 7 km away from the city center, the Chandigarh Railway Station is well connected to the major cities of India like Delhi, Jaipur, Bikaner, and Jodhpur.
- By Road – With a well-maintained and smooth road network, Chandigarh is connected to almost all small and big towns in northern India. You will surely enjoy a road trip to Chandigarh via the pretty fields of Punjab! If you’re looking for a more economical means of road transport to Chandigarh, you can board any of the frequent AC buses plying to Chandigarh from Delhi, Haryana, Himachal, Jammu, Rajasthan, and other cities of Punjab.
1. What is a rock garden?
A rock garden, also known as a stone garden or rockery, is a type of garden that uses rocks and stones as its main elements. Rock gardens can be created using both natural and man-made materials, and they are often designed to resemble naturalistic scenes from mountains or other wild places.
2. What are the benefits of Going to a rock garden?
There lots Of Benefits to going to a rock garden like you will meet new people and you can also learn many things from this garden like our culture and the most beautiful things you will get more creative after watching things made from stones.
Also, Read an Interesting Article on Funcity Chandigarh.
To Sum Up
The Rock Garden of Chandigarh is a beautiful sculpture garden that displays the creativity and imagination of its founder, Nek Chand. Visitors can explore the many sculptures and rock formations, and even take a dip in the pool. The Rock Garden is a must-see for anyone visiting Chandigarh.